WNYC Transmitter Park is a 1.6-acre waterfront destination park located along the East River in Greenpoint, Brooklyn where Greenpoint Avenue terminates at the river. The park opened in 2012 after a two-year, $12 million redevelopment project. The park offers natural wetland landscaping, a nautically-themed children’s play area, a pedestrian bridge and a pier with stunning views of Manhattan.
Plan Your Visit
Subway: G to Greenpoint Ave
Bus: B62 or B43 to Manhattan Ave & Greenpoint Ave, B32 to Franklin St & Greenpoint Ave, B24 to West St & Kent St.
Ferry: East River Ferry to India Street Pier (closed for reconstruction)
- Lawn and benches for seating
- Pollinator & plant gardens
- Playground with spray shower
Greenpoint became a thriving community in the 1850s. Ferry service began to shuttle passengers across the East River from the current site of the park to 10th, 14th and 23rd Streets in Manhattan. The pedestrian bridge in the park crosses over an excavated ferry slip. Following the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge in 1883 and subsequent bridges and tunnels, ferry use began to decline and was eventually eliminated. By the 1930s, the unused Greenpoint ferry slip –surrounded by low-scale buildings that would not create transmission interference – was ideal for transmission of WNYC’s programming.
WNYC radio station, the “voice of New York City,” was founded in 1924. Programming was broadcast through a transmitter located on the 25th floor of the Municipal Building in downtown Manhattan. The construction of skyscrapers throughout lower Manhattan in the 1920s and 1930s created interference for WNYC’s transmission signal. For over 50 years, WNYC transmitted from what is now the park. The property include a building with simple Art Deco detailing and two four-legged galvanized steel structures that rose 304 feet in the air – Greenpoint’s very own Eiffel Towers! The transmitter was used until 1990, when the station began broadcasting from the Meadowlands in New Jersey. The two towers were torn down several years later, but the small one-story building remains. There is still a stone plaque that reads “Transmitter House of Radio Station WNYC, Constructed 1936.”