The Friends of WNYC Transmitter Park
Friends of WNYC Transmitter Park (FTP) is a community-based all volunteer group founded in December 2016.
The mission of the Friends of Transmitter Park is to protect and care for WNYC Transmitter Park in partnership with the local community and NYC Department of Parks and Recreation. We treasure Transmitter Park as a sanctuary and refuge for insects, birds, plants and wildlife, and honor it as a sacred common space for all Greenpoint residents and visitors. As our neighborhood undergoes drastic transformation, we seek to preserve the spirit of Transmitter Park, especially the equity of access to the waterfront, open air, and passive natural green space, which we regard as an inviolable human right. The Friends of Transmitter Park pledge to serve as stewards of the park and representatives of the Greenpoint community as we fulfill our mission to safeguard and cultivate Transmitter Park for the benefit and enjoyment of all.
WNYC Transmitter Park is a 1.6-acre waterfront destination park located along the East River in Greenpoint, Brooklyn where Greenpoint Avenue terminates at the river. The park opened in 2012 after a two-year, $12 million redevelopment project. The park offers natural wetland landscaping, a nautically-themed children’s play area, a pedestrian bridge and a pier with stunning views of Manhattan.
Plan Your Visit
Subway: G to Greenpoint Ave
Ferry: East River Ferry to India Street Pier
- Lawn and benches for passive recreation
- Native plant gardens
- Playground with spray shower
Greenpoint became a thriving community in the 1850s. Ferry service began to shuttle passengers across the East River from the current site of the park to 10th, 14th and 23rd Streets in Manhattan. The pedestrian bridge in the park crosses over an excavated ferry slip. Following the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge in 1883 and subsequent bridges and tunnels, ferry use began to decline and was eventually eliminated. By the 1930s, the unused Greenpoint ferry slip –surrounded by low-scale buildings that would not create transmission interference – was ideal for transmission of WNYC’s programming.
WNYC radio station, the “voice of New York City,” was founded in 1924. Programming was broadcast through a transmitter located on the 25th floor of the Municipal Building in downtown Manhattan. The construction of skyscrapers throughout lower Manhattan in the 1920s and 1930s created interference for WNYC’s transmission signal. For over 50 years, WNYC transmitted from what is now the park. The property include a building with simple Art Deco detailing and two four-legged galvanized steel structures that rose 304 feet in the air – Greenpoint’svery own Eiffel Towers! The transmitter was used until 1990, when the station began broadcasting from the Meadowlands in New Jersey. The two towers were torn down several years later, but the small one-story building remains. There is still a stone plaque that reads “Transmitter House of Radio Station WNYC, Constructed 1936.”
Friends of WNYC Transmitter Park (FWTP) is fiscally sponsored by Open Space Alliance for North Brooklyn (OSA). For more information about OSA, please visit www.osanb.org.